Monday 9 April 2012

Hellas and Hellenic. Not Greece neither Greek

I am a Hellenic citizen. I have a Hellenic nationality.
Official international name of my country is Hellas and not Greek. Greek is sadly a name that has been stack with Hellenic people, from the years of Turkish occupations. It meens something between slave and the one who is occupied. It is name actually given by Turks to the Hellenic people the occupied.

Sadly thing about this is that we as a nation don't seem to care much about the etymology of the world. Although all international references are based on the world Hellas (Ελλάδα), we as Hellenes always try to hurt our heritage. I also did this error, although in the past I had been informed about the importance of the subject.

All my CVs and all my initial presentations were referencing the Greek nationality which is completely wrong. I was thinking about this and I decided I need to change this. The difficult part will be to all the people that I have already been indroduced as Greek, including my colleagues.

At some point we as Hellenes should start trying to protect our heritage that we so often call upon. Naming is one thing. Also greeklish,a form of writing greek using the latin characters to write down the words based on sound, is also exremely bad for our culture. Also guilty about this subject but this I will analyze with another post.

2 comments:

  1. 100% μαζί σου!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunatly when there is no support by fellow people from Hellas yet alone our goverment it is really difficult to keep up.

    I'm shamed to admit that I have falled back to using Greece and Greek, because there is one thing trying to explain this to foreigner and another thing getting literally blown by other "Greek"s in the same conversation.

    ReplyDelete